Board of Directors
- Martin Ward-Chair
- Scott Collier-Vice Chair
- Mike Hamilton-Chief Executive
- Philip Baxter
- Judith Holt
- David Maliphant
- John Woodall
- Robert Dredge- Treasurer
Terms of Reference – Adopted April 2008
The purpose of these Terms of Reference is to provide the umbrella framework within which the British Orienteering Board of Directors will operate.
The Board of Directors is the highest level authority in British Orienteering with powers and procedures to exercise those powers laid down in the Federation’s Articles of Association.
Composition and Membership
The Board shall consist of:
- 6 Directors of British Orienteering Federation Ltd elected by the members
- 3 Directors of British Orienteering Federation Ltd appointed as Independent Directors by a selection panel (decision taken at 2013 AGM)
- Chief Executive of British Orienteering
- Secretary, a staff member as determined by the Chief Executive and agreed by the Chair
The Board has the right to invite further attendees that shall be non-voting.
The Board is responsible for:
Setting the vision for British Orienteering and the sport of orienteering and its disciplines in the UK (with due consultation); the vision will be reviewed and updated if necessary annually (at the Jan/Feb meeting)
Setting the strategy for British Orienteering and the sport of orienteering and its disciplines in the UK (with due consultation); delegating to the staff and senior volunteers the implementation of the agreed strategy. The strategy for the subsequent year will be reviewed and updated annually (at the spring meeting); the annual budget supporting the strategy will be finalised by the autumn meeting of the Board for the subsequent year.
Setting the values and behaviour of British Orienteering by developing and disseminating throughout the sport a clear values statement.
Overseeing the production of a five year Strategic Plan and an annual Operational Plan with targets and responsibilities for implementation.
Identifying and formulating new policies in consultation with the membership and overseeing the implementation of all policy agreed by the Board or a General Meeting.
Ensuring that key performance indicators (KPIs) are set in all areas and that performance is monitored.
Overseeing the day to day running of the Federation
Ensuring appropriate compliance procedures are in place:
- Internal and external audit procedures
- Appropriate conflicts of interest policies and procedures for all directors, volunteers and staff
- Monthly management accounts produced by the executive together with corrective action measures if necessary
- Regular meetings of the Board, with agendas and papers prepared well in advance
- Written reports for Board meetings prepared and presented by the executive which provide an update on operational performance
- Approval of the annual budget
- Approval of any staff appointments not included in the annual budget
- Approval of all expenditure above predetermined levels
Ensuring that all tangible and intangible assets are safeguarded including:
- Maintenance of a full asset register and that procedures are in place to ensure that such assets are protected
- Protection and development of intangible assets – the brand, reputation and other intellectual property of British Orienteering Federation Ltd
- Ensuring the Risk Register is maintained and that risk is managed
- Establishing in consultation with other Committees a 15 year programme, reviewed every 3 years, of major international events that the UK will bid to host (this will exclude World Ranking Events)
The Chair of the Board reports to the membership annually at the AGM. All minutes of meetings will be circulated to all Committees and Groups and published on the British Orienteering website.
Members with special responsibility (as determined by the Board) shall report directly to respective Committees and Staff.
Meetings are held in accordance with the British Orienteering Meeting Guidelines and shall be held a minimum of 5 times per year.
Archive of minutes from previous Board meetings.