|Club||Deeside Orienteering Club|
Castle Park was a private garden which was donated to the town of Frodsham in 1933. It has been used as a public park ever since. The house and grounds were originally laid out in 1855.
Other Things to do in the Area
The principal entrance lies on A56 Chester Road west of the High Street, about 60m after the railway bridge and there is a good-sized car park just next to the entrance.
The house is a two-storey, Neoclassical-style building constructed in about 1851. There is an adjoining by modern building and extension.
Although small, the park comprises four distinct areas:
- the gardens and pleasure grounds around the house with many mature trees;
- the sports areas (on land formerly occupied by the kitchen garden and orchard), together with remaining domestic offices and farm buildings
- the wooded American Garden and
- an open area of former parkland.
There is a play area for children and plenty of seats around the park to enjoy the gardens. You will come across the "Castle Park Trim Trail" and an adventure area has very well made wooden exercise equipment which included monkey bars and pull up bars, a zip line and a large climbing frame.
The Arts Centre holds regular exhibitions and classes and houses a cafe selling snacks, ice cream and hot and cold drinks. There is also a cafe and refreshments area next to the bowling green.
Frodsham is a busy market town (the market is on Thursday mornings) with plenty of shops, cafes and pubs. It sits at the mouth of the River Weaver and at the bottom of Frodsham Hill (the northern end of the Sandstone Trail walking route which starts outside the Bear's Paw pub). There are walks from the town up onto the hill giving great views across the Mersey estuary towards Liverpool. The local marshes are a big attraction for bird watchers.
Maps Available From
You can also get printed copies of the map from the Castle Park Arts Centre.
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience