|Club||Potteries Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||Apedale Heritage Centre , Loomer Road , Chesterton , Newcastle under Lyme ST5 7LB|
Apedale Community Country Park is managed by Staffordshire County Council.
The area is based around a reclaimed opencast coal mine with a network of wide tracks and enclosed plantations.
Bordering this is wooded valleys with some relics of the industrial past.
There are areas of farmland which have to be crossed by marked rights of way for the Long Course. Dogs on lead in these sections.
Other Things to do in the Area
Apedale Heritage Centre is adjacent to the Car Park.
It is open at weekends and Bank Holidays.
It features Underground Mine visits, Heritage Railway and Coal Mining Museum
Details at www.apedale.co.uk
Maps Available From
Paper copies from
1.Rangers' Office Blackbank Road Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 6AX (01782 632350). Open weekends and summer Bank Holidays (14.00 to 16.00)
2. Apedale Heritage Centre, see above.
3. By post from Alison Corbett. Tel: 01538 384447
4. At any POTOC local event
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience
- Green colour standard or above controls available for experienced orienteers