|Club||Harlequins Orienteering Club|
|Nearest town||North of Stourport-on-Severn|
|Carpark location||Free car parking available off the Kingsway (DY13 8NA).|
The area is mostly open heathland with some areas of wood. It was the site of a World War II American Army training and hospital camp visited by General Patton commanding general of the US army in 1944. Further info on the area can be found on the Wyre Forest Council website.
The course is a one-hour score course using MapRun. There are 25 controls, or checkpoints, each worth 20 points, with a penalty of 10 points a minute for a late finish.
To use MapRun, first download it from your app store. We recommend using MapRunF.
• We recommend using an armband phone holder when running.
• We recommend using the paper course map available above to navigate, not the map displayed on the app.
• You can download your chosen course in advance. If you are close to the area, click ‘Events Near Me’. Otherwise, go to: UK – West Midlands – BurlishTop – Burlish Top Score v2 2020
• Go to the start (marked by a triangle on the map) by the car park, and click ‘Go to Start’.
• When your GPS detects the start, it will beep and your time will start. You will see nothing on the ground, but MapRun will detect when you are in the correct place.
• Find the controls in any order - this is what is meant by a score course. Ones that are furthest from the path will generally be harder to find.
• MapRun should detect when you reach each "control" and beep. Again, you will see nothing on the ground but the app will detect when you are at the correct feature. Accuracy can vary depending on weather conditions and other factors. Usually, it will register within a few seconds of reaching the control, but sometimes you need to move a few metres in all directions before you hear the beep.
• If you choose a route that takes you past a previous control that you visited correctly, this will simply be discounted.
• Remember to visit the Finish to complete your course. This is at the same place as the start and marked as a double circle superimposed on the Start triangle.
• Your run will then be uploaded and you can review the result. If you believe you reached a control but it wasn’t recorded, you can “challenge” the omission by touching the “HITMO” (Hey I think you missed one) button.
Comprehensive instructions can be found on the West Midlands getting started with MapRun page.
Maps Available From
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience
- Green colour standard or above controls available for experienced orienteers