|Club||North Gloucestershire Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||Crickley Hill Country Park has Pay&Display car parks|
Crickley Hill Country Park is up on the Cotswold escarpment, with great views over Cheltenham and Gloucester. As well as an iron age hill fort, it has nice woodlands and open grassland and a good network of paths.
From here, you can download your map (or maps) and a sheet with some guidance and options. This includes three suggested courses - short, medium, long - and you can download the map for each of these. For anything else (e.g. little practice loops, or visiting as many points as you can) you'll find the map of "all controls" most useful.
To report problems, ask questions or for any other feedback, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The posts were last checked in late June 2020 (and the slightly moved Post 9 was updated on the maps).
Have you tried smartphone orienteering yet?
For full details and to see the many courses in and around Gloucestershire, visit www.ngocweb.com/maprun, but it 's as simple as:
- Print out a map of your chosen course
- Download the free smartphone app
- Find your course in the app (e.g. the Crickley Hill courses on here are in UK/Gloucestershire/Training)
- Run (or walk) around the course carrying your phone, which bleeps each time you get to a checkpoint
- You results are uploaded and you can compare your leg times with everyone else who's done it
Most courses have no physical markers/posts because your phone records your arrival at each point using its GPS. Most courses are around the streets of various Gloucestershire towns and Forest of Dean villages and involve visiting as many points as you can in a 1-hour time limit, but there are a few other options too - including some for bikes!
Other Things to do in the Area
Crickley Hill Country Park features an iron age hill fort and has a café and visitor centre, as well as a picnic area and spaces for barbecues.
Maps Available From
Café at Crickley Hill Country Park (when open)
- Loops and stars exercises available for groups
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience
- Green colour standard or above controls available for experienced orienteers