|Club||Newcastle and Tyneside Orienteers|
|Nearest town||Rowlands Gill|
|Carpark location||At estate entrance. Well brown signed.|
Historic Estate on the eastern slopes of the Derwent Valley near Gateshead. The park has extensive woodland, although orienteering courses are restricted to tracks, paths and open accessible green areas for conservation (SSSI) reasons.
Four courses are suggested: a short course incorporating riverside, two medium courses exploring different parts of the estate and a long course.
Entry to the estate is by National Trust membership or entrance fee.
This National Trust Estate has been closed until recently and a booked entry system is now in operation.
- The course was checked on 5/8/20 and 13/8/20 apart from controls 16 to 19.
- The path past 47 towards 50 is one way only in that direction.
- The path between 48 and 44 (both present) is closed and blocked rendering 45 inaccessible and making 48 at the top of a very steep path requiring a return down the same path or a very long diversion via 17. Controls on this loop have yet to be verified.
- The path between 21 and 35 via 36 is closed and so 35 is inaccessible. Consider starting at the reception rather than the market place if visiting 36 first.
Other Things to do in the Area
Features of the estate are the Chapel and Avenue, Column to Liberty and the ruins of the Mansion.
Cafe, toilets and shop
Children's play area
Low Ropes Course
Red Kite Country
Maps Available From
Download from this site.
If in difficulty, by post or email download from Newcastle & Tyneside Orienteers (use website contact)
Estate reception (check before travelling 01207-541820)
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience