|Club||Harlequins Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||The start is in the car park on the NE side of the area off Kingsford Lane.|
A scarp slope runs NE to SW through the area. Below the scarp is mostly birch woodland with clearings and heath and contour detail. There is both bramble and bracken but these can be avoided. On the eastern dip slope of the scarp there is a mixture of heathland and plantation. Watch out for the new scrapes made for bees.
The course is a one-hour score course using MapRun. There are 27 controls, or checkpoints, each worth 20 points, with a penalty of 10 points a minute for a late finish.
To use MapRun, first download it from your app store. We recommend using MapRunF.
• We recommend using an armband phone holder when running.
• We recommend using the paper course map available above to navigate, not the map displayed on the app.
• You can download your chosen course in advance. If you are close to the area, click ‘Events Near Me’. Otherwise, go to: UK – West Midlands – Kinver - Kinver Edge
• Go to the start (marked by a triangle on the map) in the car park on the NE side of the area off Kingsford Lane, and click ‘Go to Start’.
• When your GPS detects the start, it will beep and your time will start. You will see nothing on the ground, but MapRun will detect when you are in the correct place.
• Find the controls in any order - this is what is meant by a score course. Ones that are furthest from the path will generally be harder to find.
• MapRun should detect when you reach each "control" and beep. Again, you will see nothing on the ground but the app will detect when you are at the correct feature. Accuracy can vary depending on weather conditions and other factors. Usually, it will register within a few seconds of reaching the control, but sometimes you need to move a few metres in all directions before you hear the beep.
• If you choose a route that takes you past a previous control that you visited correctly, this will simply be discounted.
• Remember to visit the Finish to complete your course. The finish is in the adjacent picnic area to the NE of the car park and is marked as a double circle.
• Your run will then be uploaded and you can review the result. If you believe you reached a control but it wasn’t recorded, you can “challenge” the omission by touching the “HITMO” (Hey I think you missed one) button.
Comprehensive instructions can be found on the West Midlands getting started with MapRun page.
Maps Available From
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience
- Green colour standard or above controls available for experienced orienteers