|Club||Harlequins Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||Car parking available at Morton Stanley Park (B97 5GE).|
Full details are in the information document available to download.
The courses include parkland with some woodland plus urban residential with low-volume traffic, cul-de-sacs, paths & grassy open spaces. Should be no brambles or nettles but potential route choices could take you through some (not recommended).
As with all permanent courses, you must conform to Covid19 restrictions and guidance; Morton Stanley Park has a significant number of users so please time your visit to avoid peak use or be prepared to leave your run for another day.
Three courses are available:
- Short 2.3k straight-line-route; within Morton Stanley Park and ideal for children or beginners.
- Medium 4.7k straight-line-route uses the park and some residential areas.
- Long 7.4k straight-line-route uses the park for approximately a third and the rest is residential with some compulsory road crossings.
To use MapRun, first download it from your app store. We recommend using MapRunF.
• We recommend using an armband phone holder when running.
• We recommend using the paper course map available above to navigate, not the map displayed on the app.
• You can download your chosen course in advance. If you are close to the area, click ‘Events Near Me’. Otherwise, go to: UK – West Midlands – HOC Spring Into Action 2021 where you will see three Morton SP courses.
• Go to the start (marked by a triangle on the map) 40m N of the car park where a hedge joins the path and click ‘Go to Start’.
• When your GPS detects the start, it will beep and your time will start. You will see nothing on the ground, but MapRun will detect when you are in the correct place.
• Find the controls in the numbered order.
• MapRun should detect when you reach each "control" and beep. Again, you will see nothing on the ground but the app will detect when you are at the correct feature. Accuracy can vary depending on weather conditions and other factors. Usually, it will register within a few seconds of reaching the control, but sometimes you need to move a few metres in all directions before you hear the beep.
• Remember to visit the Finish to complete your course. The finish where a footpath meets a metalled path to the S of the car park and is marked as a double circle.
• Your run will then be uploaded and you can review the result. If you believe you reached a control but it wasn’t recorded, you can “challenge” the omission by touching the “HITMO” (Hey I think you missed one) button.
Comprehensive instructions about the MapRun app can be found on the West Midlands getting started with MapRun page.
Maps Available From
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience