|Club||North Gloucestershire Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||On-street parking near Central Cross Drive (East of A435) or small car park at Albemarle Gate (West of A435)|
There are 13 orienteering controls to find in Pittville Park. The map (downloadable here) shows all the controls, which you can visit in any order. The leaflet (also downloadable here) has everything you need to know and suggests some small loops you can try, along with other ideas. Have fun!
To report problems, ask questions or for any other feedback, please contact email@example.com. The posts were last checked in early June 2020.
Have you tried smartphone orienteering yet?
For full details and to see the many courses in and around Gloucestershire, visit www.ngocweb.com/maprun, but it 's as simple as:
- Print out a map of your chosen course
- Download the free smartphone app
- Find your course in the app (e.g. the Pittville Park course on here is in UK/Gloucestershire/Training)
- Run (or walk) around the course carrying your phone, which bleeps each time you get to a checkpoint
- You results are uploaded and you can compare your leg times with everyone else who's done it
Most courses have no physical markers/posts because your phone records your arrival at each point using its GPS. Most courses are around the streets of various Gloucestershire towns and Forest of Dean villages and involve visiting as many points as you can in a 1 hour time limit, but there are a few other options too - including some for bikes!
Other Things to do in the Area
Pittville Park itself include's the Pittville Pump Rooms, a large modern adventure play area, two lakes (one with boats to hire in Summer), pitch and putt (in Summer), tennis courts, a skate park and a café. A leisure centre sits at the edge of the park and Cheltenham town centre is not far away.
Maps Available From
Central Cross Café (GL52 2DX, 01242 234907) and The Boathouse
- Loops and stars exercises available for groups
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience