|Club||Devon Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||PL7 4SR (Plymbridge Side - note that there are car-parks on both sides of the Plym Bridge, but the bridge itself is only open to pedestrians and cyclists, there is no through-route for vehicles).|
Plymbridge Woods (National Trust)
Permanent Orienteering Course
Last checked: 13 August 2018. The course is in good condition, although please see the notes below.
The National Trust has a Permanent Orienteering Course in the beautiful and tranquil Plymbridge Woods, a short drive from Plymouth, including beginners' courses and a more difficult course for experienced orienteers.
Maps are currently only available from the reception desk at the nearby Saltram National Trust property (which also has a permanent course), and a small charge (£2 in July 2018) is made for a set of maps and written advice.
The posts are mostly still in place, but note the following:
- Post 55 (first control on the Orange course and last on the Light-Green) is missing, although you can still have fun trying to locate where you would place it!
- Post 56 (8'th control on the White course) is also missing
- Post 35 (10th control on White and 2nd on Yellow) has fallen over but is still located in the correct place.
There are some relatively new cycle tracks which are not marked on the course map but are marked on a separate sheet provided in your pack of maps from the desk at Saltram. They may confuse you if you're not aware of them, so do carry this around with you as well.
Do take care on the path by the edge of the Plym river (Orange and Light Green courses). The other paths are in very good condition.
For details about how to make the best use of Permanent Orienteering Courses, and safety considerations, see:
Other Things to do in the Area
For details of other things to do please see:
Maps Available From
Map packs for both Saltram and Plymbridge sites can be bought from the Saltram Welcome Centre at PL7 1UH and they are £2.00 per pack.
Saltram (National Trust):
Admin Office Tel: 01752 333503
Area Warden Tel: 01752 333512
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience