|Club||Harlequins Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||off Hunts Lane, which is best accessed from the A462, and then Bloxwich Road North, to the north of Willenhall.|
- Get 'Short beginners course 1' for free
- Get 'Short beginners course 2' for free
- Get 'Short beginners course 3' for free
- Get 'Medium length trickier course 1' for free
- Get 'Medium length trickier course 2' for free
- Get 'Long harder course' for free
- Get 'Long hard course 1' for free
- Get 'Long hard course 2' for free
There are 3 beginner courses, 2 trickier ones and 3 harder ones. The course distances on the maps are measured as straight lines between the checkpoints - expect to cover approximately half as far again as you skirt obstacles.
Rough wood is made up of a series of pools in the middle of the oldest and largest woodland in Walsall (Rough wood represents about 10% of the oak woodland within the West Midlands). It’s a great place to go for a wander to lose yourself in nature for a while - the old oaks and lovely sunny clearings are full of wildlife, from nesting woodland birds, as well as toads, frogs, two species of newt, and lots of woodland insects.
Other Things to do in the Area
Just across the Wyrley and Essington Canal to the south is Bentley Haye wetland and grassland.
Maps Available From
Maps are available here or from the Walsall council website.
- White and/or yellow standard controls suitable for beginners
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience
- Green colour standard or above controls available for experienced orienteers