|Club||Harlequins Orienteering Club|
|Carpark location||Car parking available at Mortons Stanley Park (B97 5QA). Exit A448 Bromsgrove Highway onto B4504 Windmill Drive at GR SP030666, signed Walkwood & Hunt End. Straight on at first roundabout. Continue fo|
This is an urban residential area with low-volume traffic, cul-de-sacs, paths & grassy open spaces. There are some brambles and nettles but route choice can avoid them. To reach the start take the path at the south east corner of the park by the entrance to the car park. Follow that over a short rise then take the left through the underpass (look out for bollards). The start is the path junction on the other side. If you have got ready the course on MapRun it will start as soon as you come through the underpass.
The course is a one-hour score course using MapRun. There are 30 controls, or checkpoints, each worth 20 points, with a penalty of 10 points a minute for a late finish.
To use MapRun, first download it from your app store. We recommend using MapRunF.
• We recommend using an armband phone holder when running.
• We recommend using the paper course map available above to navigate, not the map displayed on the app.
• You can download your chosen course in advance. If you are close to the area, click ‘Events Near Me’. Otherwise, go to: UK – West Midlands – Redditch - Walkwood Score
• Go to the start (marked by a triangle on the map) in the car park on the NE side of the area off Kingsford Lane, and click ‘Go to Start’.
• When your GPS detects the start, it will beep and your time will start. You will see nothing on the ground, but MapRun will detect when you are in the correct place.
• Find the controls in any order - this is what is meant by a score course. Ones that are furthest from the path will generally be harder to find.
• MapRun should detect when you reach each "control" and beep. Again, you will see nothing on the ground but the app will detect when you are at the correct feature. Accuracy can vary depending on weather conditions and other factors. Usually, it will register within a few seconds of reaching the control, but sometimes you need to move a few metres in all directions before you hear the beep.
• If you choose a route that takes you past a previous control that you visited correctly, this will simply be discounted.
• Remember to visit the Finish, which is in the same place as the Start, to complete your course. It is marked as a double circle, in this case on top of the triangle marking the start.
• Your run will then be uploaded and you can review the result. If you believe you reached a control but it wasn’t recorded, you can “challenge” the omission by touching the “HITMO” (Hey I think you missed one) button.
Comprehensive instructions can be found on the West Midlands getting started with MapRun page.
Maps Available From
- Orange and/or light green standard controls suitable for people with some experience