Incentive and Badge Schemes
The British Orienteering Navigation and Racing challenges are incentive schemes that enable you to track your progress through the colour coded courses and their corresponding technical difficulty (TD).
The Navigation Challenge:
Members are eligible for a Navigation Challenge certificate after successfully completing 3 colour coded courses at the same Technical Difficulty (TD) standard. The certificates are ‘star’ based e.g. 1 star for TD 1 up to 5 Star for TD 5.
Technical Difficulty (TD)
Colour Coded Courses
Orange, Long Orange
Very Short Green, Short Green, Green, Short Blue, Blue, Short Brown, Brown, Black
The Racing Challenge
Members are eligible for a Racing Challenge certificate after successfully completing 3 colour coded courses (of the same TD) within the following times:
- Gold Award. Participants time < Course Length (KM) x 12.5mins
- Silver Award. Participants time < Course Length (KM) x 15mins
- Bronze Award. Participants time < Course Length (KM) x 20mins
These certificates are also ‘star’ based e.g. 1 star for TD 1 up to 5 Star for TD 5 as above.
Receiving Your Certificate
The certificates will be automatically generated via the results that clubs have uploaded into the website. Results can be viewed here. Results uploaded from the 1st January 2012 will count towards the incentive schemes. Your certificates will be available for you to download via the members area of the website. If we hold an email address for you in our database we will also send you an email informing you of your success. Your Club Secretary will also be notified of your achievement.
The British Orienteering National Badge Scheme awards badges on the basis of performance over a series of events. Badges are graded Championship, Gold, Silver and Bronze. The scheme is open to British Orienteering members only.
Championship Badges are awarded each calendar year to Elite, Long or A course competitors who have achieved the Championship Badge qualifying times at three of the events listed below (all of which must be registered at level A).
- The British Long Distance Orienteering Championships
- The British Middle Distance Orienteering Championships
- The British Sprint Distance Orienteering Championships (A Finals only)
- The British Night Championships
- The Jan Kjellström Sprint
- The Jan Kjellström Individual Events (combined result of Day 2 and 3)
- The Northern, Midland and Southern Area Championships
- The Scottish and Welsh Championships (if they are registered as Level A events)
- Or at any British Orienteering Championship if staged separately (i.e. if for instance there are separate Elite Championships)
A qualifying time in one age class may not count towards a Championship Badge in another class. In all cases, only the results of those entering the competition as British Orienteering members will be counted in determining the qualifying time.
**The formulae used to determine the qualifying time for competitors can be found on the Rules page.
Gold, Silver and Bronze Badges
These badges are also awarded on performances in the events listed above. Competitors must compete, on their own, and reach the required standard in three events in the same class within the two years.
**The formulae used to determine the qualifying time for competitors can be found on the British Orienteering website under Rules.
Applying for your Badge
Applications should be made to the National Office:
Please include an email address in case of queries.
Please enclose the following:
1) The appropriate fee (cheque made payable to British Orienteering)
2) An appropriate SAE (A4 sizewith a Large letter postage stamp for certificates).
3) Name and age class of claimant
4) British Orienteering club and membership number of claimant.
5) The organizing club (it is not helpful to just name the event area or an event, such as November Classic or SOL 10) and the dates of the 3 events. Back claims are possible IF we can retrieve the relevant records from the Internet.
6) The position and time of the claimant in each event.
7) The standard being claimed.
Woven cloth badge - £1.50
Certificate - £0.50
Age (e.g W12) flash - £0.50