British Orienteering is no longer a registered body for the purpose of DBS checking as we do not process enough DBS applications to qualify. We now use the umbrella body Online Disclosures to process applications on our behalf. The system is completely electronic; please follow the steps below to make an application for a DBS disclosure.
1. Decide if you are required to, and eligible to, apply for a DBS disclosure. Use the attached flow diagram to determine if you do or do not need a DBS check.
2. If you decide that you need a DBS check, Please complete the below DBS Eligibility Form and return to email@example.com at the British Orienteering National Office.
3. When completing the online form you will need to provide a range of information that can be used to verify your identity and address. You will need to provide:
Full name and other personal details
National Insurance number if you have one
Driving Licence number
Passport number, nationality and country of issue
Full, current address
4. Somebody will need to verify that the forms of identification provided are genuine. This will either be one of our ‘Document Checkers’ or one of the staff at the National Office. In either case, you will need to provide the following documents:
A document showing your National Insurance number
Your UK Driving Licence (paper or card)
A utility bill with your name and current address
5. Due to British Orienteering now using the Online Disclosure system there is a charge of £12.90 inc. VAT per application that will need to be paid by the applicant.
6. If you have used a Document Checker to verify the documents they will be able to login to the system and confirm that they have verified your documents.
7. Nominated staff based at the National Office can see the status of all applicants’ check at all times, therefore once verified we will countersign and submit to DBS via the online system.
8. The DBS will carry out the checks. Their stated aim is to complete standard disclosures in 2 weeks and enhanced disclosures in 4 weeks, but it is better to allow longer than this. When the DBS has completed the checks it will send one copy of the disclosure to you at your home address. You will then need to copy the disclosure and send it to the National Office, this can be a paper copy or a scanned version.
For more information go to the DBS’s own step-by-step guide to the disclosure process.
For more information about the Scotland PVG Scheme, visit the Scottish Orienteering Assocaiton webpage here.
British Orienteering will accept a DBS that has been issued from another employer or sport as long as the requirements are the same. You will be asked to provide a copy of your existing certificate and complete the DBS eligibility form (above) to check your individual requirements prior to your records being updated.
You will be asked to complete a new DBS if:
If you are unsure if your existing certificate is suitable, contact the British Orienteering National Office on firstname.lastname@example.org.